Well, here I am sitting at my desk at work, ready to go home! I could be grading some papers, getting things ready for next week, etc., but I would rather not. I'd much rather blog-write my own and read the blogs of others.
I came to realize today just how blessed Luke and I are. God truly has been good to us. One of my co-workers had to leave work this morning because she received a phone call from her husband stating that he had just lost his job. My heart goes out to them. They just bought a new house and like yesterday, they purchased a new car. Then, at lunch, I was talking to another co-worker who was telling me about one of the girls we work with and how she is busy spending her weekend moving into a new house. She and her family had to move out of the house they were renting because it was being forclosed on. So, they are now renting another house, but deep down inside, they want nothing more than to own their own home.
As I heard these stories, I couldn't help but think just how blessed Luke and I are. So many times I allow my mind to get caught up in the worries and anxieties of this world, all the while forgetting how truly blessed we are. You know, it's so easy to worry about tomorrow when the reality is, what good is it going to do you? So, as I sit here at my desk, I can't help but be thankful. Thankful for the home Luke and I have been given. Thankful for the car that runs well. Thankful for the job of teaching and being able to minister to students. Thankful for my dogs, cheap grocery store pizza, etc. Just thankful!
On another note, can I just say that Luke and I are doing REALLY well with our New Year money saving resolution! We are completely amazed at how much money we are saving by not eating out! It just blows us away! Now, don't get me wrong. Being that we had to take a few trips to Miami due to the health of my grandparents, there were a couple of times we had to stop and get something. But even with those few purchases, what we are saving is amazing! It just motivates us to keep on going!
So, here are my plans for the weekend:
Friday:
This evening-would really like to go to the high school girls basektball game-but really need to work on one of two assignments that are due this weekend
Saturday:
1. make our usual Saturday morning drive, probably grab some free breakfast using one of the many free Chick-fil-a coupons we have
2. wait for my brother and his fiance to arrive in Clermont. We are going to go look at houses in the area with them (love looking at houses-no really, I do!!)
3. work some more on my doctorate work
Sunday:
1. go to church
2. come home and work on doctorate assignments along with getting prepared for the school week
WOW! Doesn't my weekend sound like fun! What does your weekend look like??
Jen
Friday, February 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Jen,
So here's evidence of my age and level of "uncool-ness"- I am a blog virgin! I have neither read nor posted a blog before this one, so consider me now blog de-virginized!
I liked reading yours and have added it to my favorites so I can keep up to date.
As I read about feeling blessed I was reminded how easy it is to forget that we ALL are, despite our circumstances! I am looking at losing my house due to finacial difficulties, as you mentioned your friend was. I just heard from my daughter this week who left her job under duress and is looking for a new one, then only yesterday she was attending the funeral of a High School friend who had committed suicide. Hard times.
But as I think about blessings, I have to say that, even in the midst of them I can see God's mercy and love. I may find myself in tears over the loss of the only home my children have ever known, only to feel the comforting arms of my boyfriend, who holds me and reassures me that all is well while gently reminding me that God is in control. Peace.
As my daughter tells me of her losses, she in comforted by her boyfriend who supports her courage in choosing to leave an abusive work environment even in the midst of the financial struggles it will surely bring. He lovingly comforts her in her grief at the loss of an old friend, while taking time to drive her 2 hours to the funeral and be with her. They are not yet husband and wife, but I can see God's hand in my daughter's life, simply by looking at the man he has allowed to be in her life.
Sometimes God presents Himself to us "with skin on", in the form of a loving Boyfriend, or a dear sister, or a wonderful girl friend. And just when I forget whom HE is, and doubt comes is, I'll get what I call a "butterfly kiss"; My boyfriend shows up to "surprise" me right in the midst of one of my pitty-parties, or my son, who was recently failing almost all of his classes bings home a report card with all A's and B's, or my daughter, who once could barely stand to be in the same room with me, calls me just to ask my advice on something or to tell me what's happening in her life. Joy.
Blessed? You betcha!
So, what's my weekend look like?
Saturday:
Errands, groceries, laundry in the a.m.
dinner and a DVD with my son Jason and my boyfriend,
Don.
Sunday:
Church in the morning
washing the cars in the afternoon, and then a Birthday/Superbowl party at my "not-quite-yet" In-Laws place.
Right now:
Counting my blessings!
Linda
Linda,
I'm so happy that you are now leaving comments!! I love it! Let me warn you though-blogs can get addicting!! I love reading them way too much!
Anyway, I so understand what you are saying when you state that sometimes God presents Himself with skin on. This is so true! Despite everything this world brings us, we can rest assured that God is watching over us and that He does love us and despite the garbage we see, He promises to be with us. I have found that when I allow my mind to focus on the positive things, I tend to not fret nor worry about all those other things.
It was refreshing to read your thoughts and in turn, to be encouraged by them. God will guide you through everything and He will never leave you nor forsake you!
I hope you have a GREAT time at the "not-yet-inlaws" house! Tell Don I said hello and remember, if you ever want to come to Clermont and spend a couple of days with me taking part in a life plan facilitation, you are more than welcome to come!
Jen
Post a Comment