Saturday, February 2, 2008

I'm concerned. I'm embarassed. I tend to speak what I think. I tend to have people who disagree with me. Let me explain.

Luke and I just returned from a high school basketball game. It was an intense game. The two teams were competing for the district championship. Well, let's just say there was lots of yelling going on. There was good yelling and then there was bad yelling. I'm all about cheering your team on, but I'm not so fond of yelling out at the ref's when you feel as though they have either made a bad call or in turn, have failed to make a call. I'm also not so fond of yelling at the opposing team and in turn, saying things that are just not nice. This is what Luke and I experienced tonight. Yelling-yelling from parents. First off, the game was between two Christian school teams. As the yelling was taking place, I couldn't help but think about being above reproach. You know, those verses found in
1 Timothy 3:1-4

Yes, I know these verses are talking about those who desire to be a leader within the church-specifically deacons and overseers, but I also know that these are qualities that we can apply to our lives. And yes, I understand that maybe the other team wasn't being so nice to the opposing teams players and in turn, the fans were not being nice, but does that really give us any right to stoop down to their level and in turn, yell at the ref's and the other teams players? I don't think so. If there is one pet peeve that Luke and I have, it's parents who tend to have no self-control at sporting events that involve kids. I just don't get it. So, needless to say, I mentioned tonight that I was embarassed and in turn, was looked upon as though I was crazy for even feeling that way.

And please, don't tell me that I will understand when I have children. I can't tell you how many times Luke and I have heard this. In all honesty, it drives us bonkers! I've heard this way too many times as a teacher. When I hear this, I can't help but think-so, are you telling me that I will never understand, nor will I ever be considered a professional in the field of teaching until I pop out some babies? I don't think so. So please, don't tell me I'll understand once I have children. What I do know is that I will not allow my children to throw temper tantrums at sporting events or in anything else that they may want to throw a fit about. And I also know that I will always seek out the thoughts of my children's teachers before I allow myself to believe that my little precious children are always angels and that in no way could the teacher be right about what they have said or done. It's just not happening.

And here's another thought, I can assure you that children can be raised in a house that is less than 2000 square feet. But, that's another story for another time. I think I need to go to bed! :)

No comments: