Monday, November 27, 2006

Life in Review

Ok, so here I am reviewing the book, "The Cure for the Common Life" by Max Lucado that I read some time ago. As I go through, I reread the many points I highlighted such as:

"God gave you a zone, a region, a life precinct in which you were made to dwell. He tailored the curves of your life to fit an empty space in his jigsaw puzzle. And life makes sweet sense when you find your spot."

"When God gives an assignment, he also gives the skill. Study your skills, then, to reveal your assignment."

"Look back over your life. What have you consistenly done well? What have you loved to do? Stand at the intersection of your affections and successes and find your uniqueness."

"Whether your work at home or in the marketplace, your work matters to God."

"Your career consumes half of your lifetime. Should't it broadcast God? Don't those forty to sixty house a week belong to him as well?"

"God honors work, so honor God in your work."

"Your life has a plot; your years have a theme."

"Unhappiness on the job affects one-fourth of the American work force. One-fourth of employees view their jobs as the number one stressor in their lives. Seven out of ten people are neither motivated nor competent to perform the basics of their jobs. Forty-three percent of employees feel anger toward their employers often or very often as a result of feeling overworked. Fully 70 percent of us go to work without much enthusiasm or passion."

I don't know about you, but these phrases have really caused me to think. First off, to think about what my passions truly are. One of the things Max Lucado mentions is that we should often think back to our childhood and what some of the things were that we fully enjoyed doing. Ok, here are some of my things:

1) When I was like 5 or 6, I believe, I enjoyed telling my friends in the back yard that they were going to hell if they or their parents did not believe in God. Hmm, don't really see what this is saying about me that is GOOD!! Thank-God my mother overheard me and had a talk with me in regards to this not being the right way to talk with others about God. Well, I guess you could say that this kinda relates to me attending seminary and my desire to tell other's about Christ. Of course, without coming right out and telling people that they are going to hell. What was I thinking!! :) I guess that's why I also LOVED my mission trip to Venezuela for a month back in 1992 and am truly itching to go on another one!

2) My favorite gift as a kid was receipt books, play money, cash registers, etc. Hmm, still love this stuff! Weird, I know!

3) I loved playing business and pretending that I had my own business. I remember my friend Cori and I playingwhat we called JC Photo Shop. I LOVED it! I LOVED pretending that we had our own business and in turn, that JC stood for both Jennifer and Cori and that at the same time, it could stand for Jesus Christ. I really think that in many ways, I am an entrepreneur at heart. Maybe that's why I started Blooming Ministries. Who knows! The love for ministry combined with being an entrepreneur.

4) When I was little, I also loved playing school. I would teach to my stuffed animals. I had my own chalkboard in my room and what I would really love teaching is math because I was so bad at it. I would make up my own math terms. I remember while being in Elementary school, stealing chalk from my teacher for my own chalkboard (yes, mom and dad made me return it). I also remember hearing about textbooks that the school was throwing out and really wanting to get some for me to play school with. Lastly, I would also take the scholastic book order forms from the teacher's garbage so that I could use them as receipts, etc.
Can't imagine why I'm a teacher now!

5) Let's see, I also loved to sell things. I was one of those kids who always hit the neighbors up to buy stuff so that I could win stuff. I loved to seel things! I even would sell stamps at school, that is, until I got caught and was told I could no longer do that. Even to this day, I love to "sell" things to people. I actually have gotten quite a few people to purchase Disney annual passes so that they can come to Disney with us. Many people have also told me that I could sell anything!

6) Another thing I loved was giving things away. There were many times my mother had to keep me from giving away valuable toys! I find this interesting because I still really enjoy "giving" things to people and helping others in need.

So, I guess as I analyze my childhood, I can see many resemblences in how God used those childhood "fun times" to not only give me insight into what I was made for, but also, the way he may continue to use me in ministry. So, for those days, when I really begin to question my calling and what I feel as though I am to be doing in my life, I guess you could say that I can rest assured as to where the Lord currently has me and know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Lord will continue to guide me into what he wants me to do.

Another point that Max Lucado makes is that when it comes to jobs, many times, "the problem might be less the occupation and more the outlook toward it. Before you change professions, try this: Change your attitude towards your profession."

I hope these thoughts and insight into my life, have encouraged you as much as it has encouraged me. The Lord knows what he's doing in our lives. If we keep our eyes focused on him, he will always guide us into that which he has called us to do and be.

Jen

No comments: