Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Life is better

I must admit-I am doing much better today then I was on Monday. I must also admit that it was very sad for me to hear that Luke did not get the job. I think I may have taken it harder than he did, although he was very surprised because the interview went so well. Luke had even told me how she was asking about me and what I did and how there should be no problem with me finding a job, etc. So, for him to not be offered the position was very surprising.

Luke has also gotten no's from UCF and Valencia. Very interesting. Again, who knows what God is up to. What we do know is that if nothing opens up for Luke, we may need to both try and get jobs again in Sumter. Financially, we just need to be making a tad bit more than what we are now. So, we will see what happens.

I have been blessed this week with not having to work. It has been so nice to just be able to get things done around the house and to be free to do those things that I not only need to do, but want to do. Yesterday was a great day. My neighbor Pia and I went out to Downtown Disney to do some Christmas shopping. The day was beautiful and of course, whenever you are in any part of Disney, you just feel like you are on vacation. We had a great time finishing up our shopping along with going out to lunch together.

One of my goals for this week was to work on my concept paper which is part of my dissertation. I've only printed out my needed resources. I really need to get motivated because I really need to get this done by no later than the end of January. Hopefully today, I can read through my resources and highlight the important information.

Tomorrow Luke and I will be heading out to South Florida to visit both sides of the family. Should be a good time. We hope to get back to Clermont either on the 26th or the 27th.

I am currently reading this book called, "Living Simply" and I am so happy that I purchased the book. What caught my attention was the title-it's everything I want to be about and really strive for in my life. The author talks about all the different aspects of life and how living simply is what we are called to. She talks about how our society is so focused on the more is better attitude. Have you ever walked into a house where it just was cluttered beyond measure? I have! Our friends are moving next week into another house and we had the opportunity to go see the house with the current family still living there. Well, it was cluttered beyond description. Just stuff everywhere. And you know what? The family probably doesn't even use half of the stuff that is there.

Why do we do this to ourselves? Personally, I prefer the simple house with simple things. In our world today, people are always looking to buy bigger and better? Why? Someone once told me that for those who plan on having a family-recommendations state that a house of at least 2000 square feet is needed. You have to be kidding me!! First off, I grew up in an 1100 square foot house and was perfectly happy. I just don't understand the need for more, bigger, and better. To me, it's just not worth it.

So anyway, if you get a chance, check out this book-it's very good. And come to think of it, I think I will procrastinate on my concept paper just a tad bit more and instead, try to finish up the book this afternoon! Oh how I love having days to myself!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jen,

Just found your blog today...and I'm so glad you've enjoyed "Living Simply." And I had to laugh to see it was the title that caught your attention...we went round and round on titling before the book came out.

Hope you've had a merry Christmas!

Joanne

Jennifer Bennett, MACE, LPC, LPF said...

Joanne,
Thanks so much for posting! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your book and am just a fan of "Living Simply". I love the ideas you share in your book and look forward to living my life simply and enouraging others to do the same!

Thanks for your blog too! Love reading it!

Jen